Most people have seen Disney’s animated movie “The Little Mermaid.” But there are several others that are absolutely excellent: classics. Are here:
1. My first choice for a mermaid movie is “Splash.” Not only is it funny and the plot wonderful, but there are also some amazing images of Daryl Hannah mermaid in the ocean. We can’t get enough of that! Please note that this is not a children’s movie. It was made in the ’80s and for the most part, it’s okay for the family to see it. But there is a bit of nudity (when the mermaid walks into New York out of the ocean with nothing but her long hair to cover her) and there is some implication of what she and Tom Hanks’ character are doing in the elevator. although nothing is shown. The movie is wonderful, with a great story and incredible mermaid footage and lots of laughs, plus great romance.
2. My second top choice is “The Roan Inish Secret”. This is a safe and quiet movie that the whole family can enjoy. It was made in Ireland and as such is slower and quieter than most American movies. It is about an Irish girl who moves to live with her grandparents. While there, he unknowingly stumbles upon the mystery surrounding the island the family used to live on, called “Roan Inish” (Island of Seals). As he slowly solves the mystery, he brings healing and unity back to the family. In this movie, the mythical creature is a selkie, not a mermaid. The selkie lives in the form of a seal. Sometimes he climbs on a rock and removes his sealskin, exposing a beautiful woman. So this movie is a little different and you will never see a label the same way again.
3. My third favorite mermaid movie is “Aquamarine”. This one is aimed at the teen crowd. There is nothing unseemly in it, so the whole family can enjoy it. It’s a delightfully different take on the classic Little Mermaid story, with a wonderful surprise ending. The mermaid in this movie is different, more like a normal teenager. There are several good shots of her in the water. The messages in this movie are of high quality, such as loyalty, friendship, self-confidence, selflessness, and courage. And it’s also a lot of fun.
4. Number four of my best mermaid movies is an old black and white classic called “Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid.” You will be challenged to find this movie to watch, but the VHS versions are available for sale on Amazon.com. All of the underwater footage was shot at the famous Weeki Wachee Springs in Weeki Wachee, Florida, just one year after this underwater theater opened. Made in 1948, this film is about a married couple who go on vacation to the Caribbean. The man is almost 50 years old and is going through a midlife crisis. While on vacation, you accidentally catch a live mermaid from the sea! Ann Blyth plays the lovely mermaid and you will love this wonderful movie. The only objections parents may have are the subject of extramarital flirting and some funny scenes with a boy trying to quit smoking.
5. One that is a little different, and that came out recently, is a Japanese anime film by Miyazaki called “Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea”, or simply “Ponyo”. In this one, the fish girl is depicted as a goldfish with a human face, which is quite strange. But in an unusual twist, this five-year-old fish girl has to get the little five-year-old human boy to love her faithfully, or she will turn into sea foam and cease to exist. It’s such a sweet performance, these little kids learning to love and trust each other in such an innocent way. It is a story of wonder and courage that should not be missed.
6. My pick for number six is ”The Little Mermaid” from Disney. It was the film that brought Disney back into the popular movie business in the 1980s. The music and the story are delightful. I remember how delighted I was when it first came out – it’s a delicious mermaid movie, fun for the whole family.
7. Number seven for me is the Russian adaptation of “The Little Mermaid”. This 1976 film shows a lot of wonderful images of mermaids under the sea. Back then, swimmers only had small fins, so they had to wave their legs in a very fast motion to move. The underwater scenes are only at the beginning of the movie, but they are wonderful! (I can’t imagine how those swimmers could be in the water with all those jellyfish !!). You can find this movie to rent on Netflix and it is directed by Vladimir Bychkov. Again, this version of Anderson’s famous story is a bit different, almost a whole new story. Note that there is nudity in one scene and depictions of a witch performing magic. Other than those, the whole family will enjoy this one.
8. “Barbie Mermaidia” is a movie for young children, but the plot is good and the scenes are beautiful. I especially enjoyed the unusual design of Barbie’s mermaid tail. In this story, the main character has to make a big sacrifice and learn some good lessons. I like this more than the new Barbie mermaid movie because of its great message.
9. There was a lot of excitement this year for the new release of “Barbie in a mermaid tail”. This one has wonderfully fun surf scenes. Oceana’s mermaid world was a bit strange, basically an imitation of our materialistic society. This made it fun, but in this scenario the mystery and magic of the legendary mermaids is lost. This is what I call a “fluffy” movie: nothing deep, just funny pictures and a nice little story.
10. My least favorite mermaid movie is a children’s movie called “Roxy Hunter and the Mermaid Myth.” It is about a young small town journalist named Roxy who gradually discovers that her new homeless friend (a beautiful blonde) is actually a mermaid. The movie is fine, but throughout the entire movie there are no underwater scenes or scenes with a mermaid on the tail, none, until after the end. Then finally you see about 10 seconds of the blonde mermaid swimming underwater with a beautiful tail. However, the story is quite interesting and children will certainly enjoy this movie.