There are thousands of businesses that you can start from the comfort of your home, everyone knows it. But, starting a cake business from home is something different and I will tell you why and how to do it.
It’s true, cake decorating takes a little practice and some experience. Fortunately, that’s something you can earn with very little cash. A cake business requires supplies that you may already have in your kitchen. If you already feel like you are an expert in this activity, then you are off to a good start. And on top of that, starting a cake business from home could be the perfect opportunity for someone like you!
Like any business, there are great advantages and disadvantages. The top five benefits of starting a cake business from home are as follows:
1. You can run this business from home and you don’t need separate rooms to do it. If you think you need more space for your growing business in the future, then by all means upgrade!
2. A cake business is fun! Most people need cakes for special days or events, so what better way to make someone smile and also earn some extra income while doing it?
3. Your cake business will allow you flexibility in your schedule. You can decide when and how many orders to take. You don’t have to ask for vacation days off and you can spend time with your children or family whenever you want.
4. Low start-up costs! Since you do not have to rent a space, the rent can be removed from the quote list. Plus, cake supplies are relatively inexpensive and definitely easy to come by. And as your business grows, so can your supplies and equipment.
5. High markup for cakes. Since cakes are easy to make, you can price them according to what you think they are worth. Your prices don’t have to be fixed! Some are worth more than others, but either way; You will make a good profit!
This is not to discourage you, but to make you aware of some of the things to keep in mind before starting a home-based cake business. On the other hand, you are going to have some disadvantages and they may vary from person to person, but they are the following:
1. You may have to sacrifice time from other activities to get the job done. You will see that certain orders need to be completed at certain times. Time management will be your best ally!
2. Most events are scheduled for weekends when people are not working. Therefore, you will need to ensure that you have this time available to deliver cakes or be available for pick-up.
3. Depending on the size of your kitchen, you may need additional storage space for your supplies. This may require purchasing an additional cabinet or rearranging your kitchen.
4. You may need to budget for classes or courses if you need a little extra help learning to handle things at first.
5. Lastly, as with any home business, there may be zoning requirements that you need to investigate.
You will discover that a cake business, like any other business, is full of advantages and disadvantages. Cake businesses are fun and satisfying, but it’s up to you to decide if it’s the right way to go. But if you decide to take that leap, remember to enjoy and have fun with your new business!